Company & Contact Details:
The Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Limited
A charitable company, limited by guarantee and not having a share capital.
A company registered in England No.1007871
VAT No.202 1098 21
Registered Charity No.262481
Colonel Stephens Railway Enterprises Ltd
A wholly owned subsidiary of the Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Limited
A company registered in England No.2668156
VAT No.583 7827 90
Tenterden Town Station
Telephone 01580 765155
Fax 01580 765654
Return of goods:
We want you to be 100% happy with your goods. Should you have any reason to return items purchased from our shop, they may be returned within 28 days of receipt providing that they are returned in the original packaging and in the condition in which they were sold. Exceptions to this guarantee are for DVD’s, which unless they prove faulty in manufacture, will not be refunded or exchanged.
Returned goods must be accompanied by the invoice number, date of purchase and reason for return.
Please note: That you will be responsible for the costs of returning the goods to us unless we delivered the item to you in error or if the item is faulty. As soon as we receive the item(s) as above, we will refund the relevant part of the purchase price for that item together with the items normal postage charge. We cannot refund any priority, express or courier component of the postage charge.
For more information on your right to withdraw from your purchase within the fourteen working day cooling-off period, visit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
Your rights to return goods are protected under the EU Distance Selling Directive which can be found at http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002334.htm
General Terms & Conditions
The K&ESR will use every reasonable endeavour to operate the advertised train service but cannot guarantee that services will be hauled by a particular locomotive or type of traction. Locomotives planned to be operating on any day are for indicative purposes only and are subject to change without notice. Unforeseen circumstances or events may entail alterations or cancellations. No refunds are payable in the event of a change or substitution of planned locomotive.
Accommodation on later trains on the date of booked travel cannot be guaranteed. Where such is possible, a rebooking administration charge will be made.
Event tickets are very popular & we regret that we are unable to provide accommodation on later services if you miss your booked train. Please ensure you allow sufficient time for your journey.
Alterations requested to confirmed bookings will be made at the discretion of K&ESR and will be subject to an administration charge of £10 per person. Travel tickets and vouchers must be returned to, and received by, us by no less than 48 hours prior to the specified date.
The K&ESR is a registered educational charity and operates using heritage equipment. The primary purpose of the K&ESR is the provision of a heritage experience and not the conveyance of visitors to a precise timetable or by the use of specific locomotives.
Photography and/or filming may take place during your visit, for K&ESR marketing purposes.
Please note that pets and dogs, with the exception of assistance dogs, are not permitted at major events, nor within First Class accommodation, in buffet carriages or station catering outlets: please call us in advance if you are unsure.
Unless otherwise shown, platform tickets are not available during major events.
Read our Conditions of Carriage relating to passengers and luggage, which form part of our Terms and Conditions.
The K&ESR does not provide travel insurance. When planning a package involving multiple providers, customers requiring insurance are advised to make their own arrangements.
We are unable to accept card payments on our trains, with the exception of the Wealden Pullman where cards are accepted in respect of Bar Account payments.
Terms and Conditions are subject to change without further notice.
The purchase of Train Travel and Event Tickets is governed by our standard policy. You should not proceed with a purchase if you do not agree to our Terms and Conditions.
Tickets are non-refundable.
Unless otherwise advised, we recommend visitors to arrive at least 20 minutes prior to departure time. Where made, seat reservations will be maintained only until 10 minutes before the pre-booked departure time.
No refunds are given for missed trains.
- All Santa Special trains depart from Tenterden Town Station (TN30 6HE) and cannot be held for late arriving customers – please ensure you arrive at the correct station 30 minutes before your booked departure.
- Santa Specials will operate in all but the most severe weather conditions. Should severe adverse weather conditions force us to cancel the advertised services, a replacement Santa Special will operate between Christmas & New Years day. Your ticket will be transferred to this service and a refund will not therefore be available.
- Our Santa Specials are very popular & we regret that we are unable to provide accommodation on later services if you miss your booked train. Please ensure you allow sufficient time for your journey – including adverse weather, traffic and finding a parking space.
- We are unable to associate separate bookings, so you should ensure that you book sufficient seats for your entire party in your booking.
- Any amendments, however minor will incur a £5 administration fee.
- Santa Special tickets cannot be exchanged, refunded, resold or transferred to another party.
- Please ensure your booking is correct before completing your purchase.
- Pets and dogs, with the exception of assistance dogs, are not permitted at Santa Special events.
- A photographer may be present taking photographs for K&ESR marketing purposes.
- Included in the price of your ticket is a free family photograph taken by our professional photographer. When having your photograph taken, you consent to your image being stored for the purpose of providing you with one free copy of the image. Additional copies may be ordered online.
- Platform tickets are not available.
The following additional T&C’s apply to Santa Special 2021 bookings
- Entry to the station will be managed and you may need to wait outside to ensure our safe social distancing guidelines are met if you arrive more than 30 minutes before your booked departure.
- £10 of your total booking price forms a non-refundable deposit. In the event that the K&ESR is obliged to cancel your Santa Special experience due to COVID-19 government guidelines and/or restrictions, the value of your booking, less the £10 non-refundable deposit, will either be transferred to a K&ESR Gift Card or refunded to your payment card in accordance with your preference.
Covid-19 Supplementary Terms & Conditions
- All visitors should comply with the current government advice regarding Covid-19.
- Please scan in using the QR code posters displayed at stations.
- Whilst wearing a face covering is not now mandatory, for the benefit of all, we recommend a face covering is worn when in any building, railway carriage or busy space.
- Please make payment by card if you can.
- Every effort will be made to fulfil catering bookings, but current difficulties with the UK supply chain may dictate that substitutions with similar items of equal value are unavoidable.
- If you are feeling unwell or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you and members of your party must not visit. If you have already purchased K&ESR travel tickets, their value will be transferred to a K&ESR Gift Card if requested within 48 hours of booked travel date & time: please call us on 01580 765155, quoting your booking reference or ticket number, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dining and catering services:
Tickets for dining and catering services are non-refundable.
We advise all visitors to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the booked train departure time.
No refunds are given for missed trains.
Should you wish to cancel your booking in total or part, we will make every effort to resell your seats. However a refund will only be made provided the seats are resold. In such cases an administration fee of £10 per seat will be levied.
Alterations requested to confirmed bookings will be made at the discretion of K&ESR/CSRE and will be subject to an administration charge per person. Tickets must be returned to, and received by, us by no less than 48 hours prior to the specified date.
Please note that pets and dogs, with the exception of assistance dogs, are not permitted within First Class accommodation, in dining & buffet carriages or station catering outlets: please contact us if you are unsure.
Gift Cards are available to purchase for any amount between £10 and £500 by calling the Booking Office on 01580 765155. A range of Gift Cards are also available to purchase online and from our Gift Shops.
Once activated, you can use the value on Gift Cards in full or part payment for K&ESR tickets (excluding A Day Out with Thomas), pre-booked On-Train Catering, and in our Gift Shops. Gift Cards are not currently available to spend online, in Station Catering outlets or onboard our trains. If an item purchased with a Gift Card is subsequently refunded, money will be returned to a Gift Card.
If you wish to cancel your purchase of a Gift Card and you had purchased it online or over the telephone, you may receive a full refund of the price paid for a period beginning of fourteen days from the day after the date of delivery of your Gift Card. The K&ESR will also refund any delivery charges. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the Gift Card to us, if we request it. To cancel your Gift Card purchase, please telephone our Booking Office on 01580 765155. You will need to provide the order number shown in your order confirmation email. Other than as set out above, we regret that Gift Cards cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
1. All monies on the card must be used by the expiry date, which is 36 months from the date of purchase. Any balance remaining after this date will be deducted and the card cancelled.
2. The monies on this card cannot be exchanged for cash or used to purchase further Gift Cards. Following use, any remaining balance will be stored on the card and may be used to pay for future purposes up to 36 months from the date of card purchase or last usage (in view of the cessation of services resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, validity of Gift Cards purchased prior to June 2021 has been extended from 24 months to 36 months).
3. Please protect your Gift Card and treat it as cash. The K&ESR will not accept liability for lost, stolen or damaged cards. Gift Cards which are defaced, altered or cancelled will not be accepted. The balances on lost cards cannot be returned. The K&ESR is not responsible for any unauthorised use of Gift Cards. Gift Cards are non-refundable.
4. To check the remaining balance or expiry date of your card, call 01580 765155.
5. Gift Cards are not a credit, debit or cheque guarantee card.
6. The K&ESR reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time and to take appropriate action, including the cancellation of the card, if, in its discretion, it deems such action necessary. This does not affect your statutory rights.
The Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Ltd (“KESR”) is committed to protecting your personal information.
Who we are
We are the Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Limited (“KESR”)
Colonel Stephens Railway Enterprises Limited; Tenterden Railway Company Limited; Robertsbridge 20/20 and Kent & East Sussex Railway Adventures Limited.
How to contact us
The Data Protection Officer
Kent & East Sussex Railway,
Tenterden Town Station,
Information we collect and use
Information about you that we collect and use includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. name, date of birth and contact details
- Information connected to your product or service with us e.g. your bank account details
- Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails, letters
- Information that is automatically collected e.g. via cookies when you visit one of our websites
- Information if you visit one of our sites e.g. visual information collected via closed circuit television (CCTV)
- Information classed as ‘sensitive’ personal information e.g. relating to your health, marital or civil partnership status.
- This information will only be collected and used where it’s needed to provide the product or service you have requested; to maintain your safety; or to comply with our legal obligations.
Where we collect your information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
- an application form for a product, service or activity
- phone conversations with us
- emails or letters you send to us
- registering for one of our events
- participating in surveys to help us understand you better and improve our products and services
- our online services such as websites, social media and mobile device applications (“Apps”)
- We may also collect personal information on you from places such as business directories and other commercially or publicly available sources e.g. to check or improve the information we hold or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly
What we collect and use your information for
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so.
We will collect and use information only where:
- you have given us your permission (consent) to send you information about our products and services
- it’s necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. we will require some personal information including your name, address, date of birth, bank account details
- it’s in the legitimate interests of the KESR e.g. to deliver appropriate information and guidance so you are aware of the options that will help you get the best from your purchase
- we need to process your information to better understand you or your needs so we can send you more relevant communications about our products and to develop new products and services
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with our products or services.
Tailoring products or services e.g. placing you in groups with similar customers to make decisions about the products or services we may offer you to help meet your needs
When designing and enhancing our online services to help meet your requirements for ongoing guidance and support
If you subscribe to our mailing lists or newsletters or register for access to the staff area, you will be asked to provide certain information in order that we can provide the products or services you have requested and to authenticate your identity when you login. If you voluntarily complete customer surveys, provide feedback or participate in competitions run by the KESR, we may also collect information about you.
We may monitor and record telephone conversations with you and use them for staff training, quality and security purposes.
Our sites provide users with the opportunity to choose whether they wish to receive communications from us at the point where we request information.
Who we may share your information with
We may share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in ‘What we collect and use your information for’
These third parties include:
- Companies within the KESR and associated groups
- Companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the products and services we offer to you and other customers e.g. research, consultancy, or technological companies; or companies who can help us in our contact with you, for example an internet service provider
- Our regulators and Supervisory Authority e.g. the Information Commissioner’s Office for the UK (“ICO”)
Law enforcement, credit and identity check agencies for the prevention and detection of crime
- Department of Health & Social Care (“DHSC”) for the purposes of the NHS Test & Trace scheme
- HM Revenue and Customs (“HMRC”) e.g. as required by law for the prevention of tax avoidance or administration of Gift Aid
We will never sell your details to someone else. Whenever we share your personal information, we will do so in line with our obligations to keep your information safe and secure.
Where your information is processed
The majority of your information is processed in the UK and European Economic Area (EEA)
However, some of your information may be processed by us or the third parties we work with outside of the EEA, including countries such as the United States, New Zealand and India.
Where your information is being processed outside of the EEA/UK, we will ensure that your information is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied in the EEA/UK data privacy laws.
How we protect your information
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our staff also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and must undertake regular training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our products or services while you are a customer or where you have indicated that you wish to remain informed about our products and services
We may also keep your information after this period but only where required to meet our legal or regulatory obligations. The length of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the obligations we need to meet.
Your individual rights
You have several rights in relation to how KESR uses your information. They are:
Right to be informed
Right of access
You have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR)
Right to request that your personal information be rectified
If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected
Right to request erasure
You can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for KESR to continue to have it.
Right to restrict processing
You can ask that we block or suppress the processing of your personal information for certain reasons. This means that we are still permitted to keep your information – but only to ensure we don’t use it in the future for those reasons you have restricted.
Right to data portability
You can ask for a copy of your personal information for your own purposes.
Right to object
You can object to KESR processing your personal information: for direct marketing (including profiling); and if we were using it for scientific/historical research profiling and statistics.
How to make a complaint
If you are still unhappy, you can complain to our Supervising Authority. Their details are:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 01625 545745
A cookie is a small file – it’s saved onto your computer or other device when you visit any of our websites.
Cookies store small pieces of information. For example, they will remember you’ve visited our website or performed a certain action.
If you enter our online booking engine then that too includes additional cookies, and will operate in much the same way: to store your purchase choices while you complete your purchase in our shopping cart.
Cookies also let us know which pages of a website you’ve visited; they help us deliver and market our products and services. They also help us to track sales.
Persistent cookies stay valid and will work until their expiry date (unless you delete them before they expire).
Session cookies expire when you close your web browser.
The following link provides information about cookies: AllAboutCookies.org
The information above is believed to be true at the time of writing this update and is provided in good faith.
None of the above affects your statutory rights.